[Bro-Dev] 0MQ security considerations

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Jul 7 14:43:03 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 16:21 -0400, you wrote:

> I don't necessarily agree that overhauling serialization is orthogonal,
> per se, to deploying a new communication framework.  Instead, I feel
> like the serialization framework is way too tightly coupled to the
> communication framework, and that it's really limiting what we're able
> to do with communication.

We should of course consider what communication primitives we'll need
later for a new serialization framework. But other than that, it's
actually not that tightly coupled. For me it's just shuffling data
across a network connection. :-)

Anyway, I think the result of this discussion is "back to the drawing
board". That's fine, the plan was to explore 0mq whether it's suitable
for us, and it looks like at best we're unsure whether it is and at
worst it just is not.

So I'd say we postpone this discussion to a more general post-1.6
strategy posting. If anybody feels like it, we can in the meantime
collect ideas and options on a web page.

Robin

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org