[Bro-Dev] 0MQ security considerations

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Sat Jul 9 11:13:21 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 14:01 -0400, you wrote:

> It depends on what your application profile is. TBB does not try to
> replace I/O threads or GUI threads or general Win Threads.

I think this concerns primarily their main usage model where one uses
TBB to automatically schedule the work across threads. We wouldn't
need that part, and instead use it more as a portable thread
abstraction. In that sense, I don't see why TBB wouldn't be a fit for
what we need. The licensing, yeah, not ideal, though it would work I
think.

But anyway, mulling over this a bit more, let's just go with pthreads.
I don't really see that introducing a new dependency is worth it just
for doing logging; and that's all we need right now. Doing the
mgr-to-writer communication shouldn't be that difficult with pthreads
either, and while lock-free queues are nice, I'm not convinced they
are crucial here. Let's make sure to encapsulate all this nicely at
some well-defined places, and we can always change the implementation
later.

Robin

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org