[Bro-Dev] viability of stand-alone (not installed) Bro

Vern Paxson vern at icir.org
Mon Jul 29 20:08:36 PDT 2013

For various reasons I sometimes like to run Bro out of the directory
I used to build it, rather than installing it.  With a fresh git pull,
when doing this I get:

	% build/src/bro
	internal error: can't load magic file /usr/local/bro/share/bro/magic: could not find any valid magic files!
	Abort

Well harumph.

However, the reason for this note (rather than a shiny-new-tracker ticket)
is I'm wondering whether filing the ticket is a lost cause (i.e., the
current philosophy is it's okay if things only work post "make install") ... ?

		Vern