[Bro-Dev] Compiling Bro on RedHat, CentOs 6 and earlier (cmake)

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Wed Feb 18 15:10:14 PST 2015

> On Feb 18, 2015, at 1:17 PM, Johanna Amann <johanna at icir.org> wrote:
>
> Thank you, that worked. One more question - currently Bro does not compile
> on systems that use libpcap < 1.1.1, because PCAP_NETMASK_UNKNOWN is not
> defined (example compile error:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/live_build_log/home:0xxon:bro/bro-nightly/xUbuntu_10.04/i586)
>
> Could we perhaps test for the definition of that macro and either define
> it to something ourselves in that case, or just use another code-path? On
> a first glance, it does not look especially critical that we use it, but I
> am not really familiar with that case.

I’m not that familiar either, but think it may be fine to provide our own preprocessor definition if it doesn’t exist.  Robin, what do you think?  Was there any other functionality of recent libpcaps that’s used now?  Do we know what minimum version of libpcap should be required and checked at configure time?

- Jon