[Bro-Dev] Bro packages with plugins

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 2 16:11:35 PST 2017

> On Mar 2, 2017, at 11:46 AM, Alan Commike <commike at reservoir.com> wrote:
>
> The only other idea I have, is if bro-pkg is not able to locate Bro source code (i.e. the user installed Bro from a binary package), then it could automatically download the appropriate version (e.g. clone Bro’s git repo and checkout a specific version tag).
>
> From a deployment perspective, there really shouldn't be a compiler on the system running a deployed Bro. Even further, the system might be limited on where on the internet it can reach. At least with many of our customers, that's the case.

I imagine bro-pkg could still use its bundling system for when the Bro nodes have limited network/compiler functionality.  E.g package management and building occurs on a dedicated host that does have network/compiler access and then a bundle file can be copied over to the Bro nodes to reproduce the desired package ecosystem.

- Jon