Pattern matching vs Regular expression

Vern Paxson vern at icir.org
Thu May 23 23:35:33 PDT 2002

> Apart from that speed-wise is reg-exp matching still much faster than
> simple sring matching like Bayer-moore or similar algos ??

Regular expression matching is comparable in speed to simple string
matching, and (generally) slower than Boyer-Moore *for single strings*.
Where it can gain performance is that it can efficiently match a lot of
strings in parallel.  Robin Sommer & I are now working on using this to
significantly enhance Bro's signature-matching capabilities - stay tuned.

		Vern