[Bro] On Modifying Bro tables in C++

Robin Sommer sommer at in.tum.de
Fri Jul 30 00:56:23 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:18 -0700, José María González wrote:

> read in Val.h that  "Accessors for mutable values are called
> AsNonConst* and are protected to avoid external state
> changes."

The reason for the accessors being protected is the new
&synchronized keyword (and other related issues). For synchronizing
values between remote instances of Bro, we need to track all
accesses to the table which change its state in some way. The code
of TableVal (and derived classes) takes care of this. If you modify
the values content from the outside you have to do it yourself (grep
for LogAccess to see how that works).

So, I'd also suggest to use TableVal::Assign().

Robin

--
Robin Sommer * Room        01.08.055 * www.net.in.tum.de
TU Muenchen  * Phone (089) 289-18006 *  sommer at in.tum.de