[Bro] Bro and OpenBSD 4.0 issues

Jean-Philippe Luiggi jp.luiggi at free.fr
Wed Dec 6 06:09:33 PST 2006

Hello,

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 02:51:36PM -0800, Christian Kreibich wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> thanks for that. Your config.log points out a few things very useful to
> us:
>
> - The check for netinet/if_ether.h fails, but not because the file
> doesn't exist, but because on OpenBSD compiling a program with it
> requires additional headers to be included:
>
> /usr/include/netinet/if_ether.h:140: error: field `ea_hdr' has incomplete type
> /usr/include/netinet/if_ether.h:158: error: field `ac_if' has incomplete type
> /usr/include/netinet/if_ether.h:161: error: syntax error before "LIST_HEAD"
> /usr/include/netinet/if_ether.h:166: error: syntax error before "LIST_ENTRY"
> /usr/include/netinet/if_ether.h:222: error: syntax error before "LIST_ENTRY"

I didn't get these problems with Current's release, so i built a "simple"
GENERIC installation in order being in the same setup as Tim.

> - ns_msg is (correctly, I believe) not found, and thus nonblocking DNS
> is disabled. As far as we're concerned, our configuration checks work
> fine here and we simply can't support nonblocking DNS on OpenBSD at the
> moment. Patches are very welcome.

Same things, no problem with nonblocking DNS for me.
I know about a workaround (using the extra libbind given from a package) and
using a "configure --with-dns-lib" and "configure
--with-dns-include" in order to give the ability to OpenBSD to use them.

> Regarding your build errors, it seems from the output you have posted in
> your follow-up email that you also have encountered the parse.cc
> problem, since the build stops there. See my mail from yesterday for
> possible workarounds.

And again i didn't notice this.
I can't (yet) believe there're so much difference between GENERIC and
CURRENT so i know what to do this week end. :-)

Best regards.