[Bro] bro segfaults on startup

scott campbell scampbell at lbl.gov
Tue Jan 10 11:01:58 PST 2006

Vern Paxson wrote:
>>Which packet filter do you mean?
>

> I meant the libpcap.  But:
>

>>Scott Campbell mentioned it may be a problem with the resolver library,
>>as others have had similar problems in the past.
>

> this is clearly the problem, given the traceback that terminates inside
> the resolver library:
>

>>(gdb) run -i eth0 mt http ftp scan
>>Starting program: /opt/bro-1.0/bin/bro -i eth0 mt http ftp scan
>>
>>Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>>0x0000000000561ef5 in __ns_initparse ()
>>(gdb) bt
>>#0  0x0000000000561ef5 in __ns_initparse ()
>>Cannot access memory at address 0xffd2a510
>

> This may be a longshot, but in the past folks have worked around resolver
> problems on Linux but linking to /usr/lib/libresolv.a directly.  Worth
> giving a try.
>
> FWIW, we run without problems on Red Hat 2.4.21.  But we're not running
> 64-bit native, which it looks like you are.  (Our glibc is a slightly older,
> but I don't imagine that matters.)
>
> Scott, do you recall any other fixes?
>
> 		Vern
Unfortunately I suggested that our discussion get punted back to the
list since I have no experience with the 64 bit libs on linux.  I
suspect that you may be correct about the linking.  If that does not
work you may want to explore forcing the issue of compiling & running in
32 bit mode.

If this continues to be a problem, I can ask around here and see what
other peoples suggestions are.

scott