[Bro] http-body and binary content

Reed Porada rporada at ll.mit.edu
Fri Oct 12 06:59:07 PDT 2007

On Oct 11, 2007, at 11:38 PM, Vern Paxson wrote:

>> Any thoughts on why Bro changes its output based on the optional
>> headers?
>
> This almost for sure isn't the problem, as I don't believe there's any
> code relating to looking at the headers in this regard.

I kinda figured that, but just wanted to make sure.

>> Or why it could be sometimes outputting binary and others
>> ASCII Hex?
>
> How are you using/printing the values recovered by Bro?  Best bet
> is that
> you're running into Bro introducing some escape sequences.

I am storing the values as strings and printing to an open file.  I
was concatenating the data using the fmt() command.  Given what you
said, I switched to the cat () function and that works.  Thanks for
making me think about it more.

The only thing I am still noticing is that with a print it appends a
newline to each print statement.  Is there anyway to prevent this?

Thanks again,

-Reed