[Bro] linux vs freebsd

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Thu Dec 4 11:32:26 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 11:15 -0800, Christian Kreibich wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 21:05 -0700, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> > I haven't tried on OBSD in some time. Interesting comments about OpenBSD
> > headaches.  Been using both FreeBSD and OpenBSD since 2.x days. I know
> > there have been ongoing issues w/Bro on OBSD but otherwise it's been
> > rock solid. Wish I could say same about FreeBSD, wh/we've all but
> > abandoned.  We use OBSD in more narrowly targeted capacities, however,
> > so perhaps not a fair comparison.
>
> I don't mean to suggest doubt in OpenBSD's technical quality, it's no
> doubt a solid OS. It's merely the (imho) fact that once things build
> fine on Linux + OSX + FreeBSD, there's still a significant chance of
> build woes on OpenBSD, which translates into extra effort needed on our
> side.
>
> That said, I just downloaded 1.4 on an OpenBSD 4.2 machine, and am happy
> to report that the whole suite built fine.

Thank you for the report.  In next couple weeks I'll be bringing a 4.4
box online and may have time to test the build on it. Perhaps someone
with a bit more time could even try to get it in the OBSD tree.

I should amend my FBSD statement to note that pre 5.x releases, and 4.x
in particular, served us extremely well!

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>