[Bro] bro on freebsd 7-RC1

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon Mar 10 13:00:53 PDT 2008

--On Monday, March 10, 2008 13:47:27 -0500 Randolph Reitz <rreitz at fnal.gov>
wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2008, at   4:30, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>
>> I'm the FreeBSD port maintainer for bro.  I'm running 7.0 RELEASE
>> (i386), and
>> I'm not having a problems compiling bro.  (I just compiled it after
>> reading
>> your email.)  Make sure that your sources, kernel and ports are up
>> to date and
>> try it again.  Also, what architechture are you trying to compile
>> on?  I'm
>> running i386 SMP.
>
> I didn't notice the bro port.  Yes, the bro port compiles fine on
> 7.0-RELEASE.  You get bro-1.2.1 which is the current stable release.  I was
> trying to compile bro-1.3.2 which is the current development release.
>
> Are FreeBSD ports made for development releases?

In general, no.  FreeBSD devel ports are usually the libraries associated with
or required by a port.

I thought about creating one for the devel release, but the problem is, the
code is constantly changing, so maintaining the port would be a PITA.  It's
much easier to maintain a stable release version.

However, when I said "I'm not having any problems compiling bro", I was
referring to the 1.3.1 devel release that you were trying to compile.  I
downloaded and compiled it before posting my response.

Did you ever say what ARCH you're running?

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst