[Bro] TimeStamp of Bro output

Vlad Grigorescu vladg at cmu.edu
Thu Feb 7 14:31:20 PST 2013

Hi,

I believe what you're seeing is a result of how those timestamps are defined.

In conn.log[1]: "This is the time of the first packet."
In http.log[2]: "Timestamp for when the request happened."

The conn record doesn't get written until the connection closes (or times out). It happens during the connection_state_remove[3] event. By handling it at connection close, you get duration, byte/packet counts, etc.

Also, the times for when the first packet was seen, and when the actual HTTP request was seen can be slightly off.

Does this line up with what you're seeing?

  --Vlad

[1] - <http://www.bro-ids.org/documentation/scripts/base/protocols/conn/main.html#type-Conn::Info>
[2] - <http://www.bro-ids.org/documentation/scripts/base/protocols/http/main.html#type-HTTP::Info>
[3] - <http://www.bro-ids.org/documentation/scripts/base/event.bif.html#id-connection_state_remove>