[Bro] Problem with broccoli-python

Siwek, Jonathan Luke jsiwek at illinois.edu
Tue Nov 5 08:18:46 PST 2013

On Nov 4, 2013, at 5:18 PM, Rosebraugh, Connar <connar.rosebraugh at egov.com> wrote:

> I went through the install for broccoli-python, and when I try and do “from broccoli import *” from my home directory, I get the error :
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/broccoli.py", line 6, in <module>
>    from _broccoli_intern import *
> ImportError: libbroccoli.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> However, when I run this command from /usr/local/lib/python, the command works just fine. Does anyone know what files are supposed to end up in what directories?

The default install prefix for broccoli if installed on its own is /usr/local.  But if broccoli is installed as part of the full bro package, the default install prefix is /usr/local/bro.  If you don’t see the shared library indicated in the error message in the lib subdir of either place, please give more details on how you configured/built/installed broccoli and the python bindings.

If you do find libbroccoli.so in your manual search for it, then it seems like the run-time linker just needs help finding it.  And that is typically resolved by either setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env var or doing stuff with /etc/ld.so.conf and `ldconfig` if you’re on linux — the man pages for “ld-linux.so” and “ldconfig” are good to review here.

- Jon