[Bro] Problem with broccoli-python

Mike Sconzo sconzo at visiblerisk.com
Tue Nov 5 09:06:43 PST 2013

Showing our setup to verify what Jon said.

On ubuntu (built for install in /opt):
root at host:# cat /etc/ld.so.conf.d/bro.conf
/opt/bro/lib/

(don't forget to run ldconfig) after the bro.conf file

The other thing we did was add a .pth file to our python venv:
root at host:# cat /opt/python/venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/bro.pth
/opt/bro/lib/broctl/

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Siwek, Jonathan Luke
<jsiwek at illinois.edu> wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2013, at 5:18 PM, Rosebraugh, Connar <connar.rosebraugh at egov.com> wrote:
>
>> I went through the install for broccoli-python, and when I try and do “from broccoli import *” from my home directory, I get the error :
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/broccoli.py", line 6, in <module>
>>    from _broccoli_intern import *
>> ImportError: libbroccoli.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> However, when I run this command from /usr/local/lib/python, the command works just fine. Does anyone know what files are supposed to end up in what directories?
>
> The default install prefix for broccoli if installed on its own is /usr/local.  But if broccoli is installed as part of the full bro package, the default install prefix is /usr/local/bro.  If you don’t see the shared library indicated in the error message in the lib subdir of either place, please give more details on how you configured/built/installed broccoli and the python bindings.
>
> If you do find libbroccoli.so in your manual search for it, then it seems like the run-time linker just needs help finding it.  And that is typically resolved by either setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env var or doing stuff with /etc/ld.so.conf and `ldconfig` if you’re on linux — the man pages for “ld-linux.so” and “ldconfig” are good to review here.
>
> - Jon

cat ~/.bash_history > documentation.txt