[Bro] can not start bro

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jun 26 21:42:49 PDT 2014

I had a series of problems on one sensor (disk full and consequent issues) and now when I try

broctl start

it tries to start the manager and just hangs.

rful011 at secmontst01:/opt/bro/etc$ sudo broctl start
warning: removing stale lock
starting manager …

after killing it I find:

rful011 at secmontst01:/opt/bro/etc$ cat ~sensors/data/dmzo/bro-spool/manager/stderr.log
nohup: failed to run command `/run-bro': No such file or directory

timestamp is current.

Bro is installed using securityoinion-bro — I have tried removing and installing it again but it does not make any difference.

Any ideas on what to look for.

Russell