[Bro] elastic search / bro questions

Nick Turley nick.turley at ucr.edu
Thu Nov 6 18:59:36 PST 2014

We tried the ElasticSearch writer with mixed results. Our Bro cluster (two workers, one manager/proxy) processes somewhere the same number of events you’re dealing with and we write all Bro data to a RAID10 array. We then have a Logstash shipper grab the logs as fast as they come in and ship those off to a couple REDIS systems. We then have a Logstash indexer pull the data from REDIS and mutate the data in various ways (rename attributes, geolocation) before being shipped off to our ElasticSearch cluster. We have limited hardware but we’ve been able to pump data fast enough for 10Gbps link which peaks around 3.5Gbps. The architecture is more complicated, but its scalable.

Having REDIS in place makes it nice when you have traffic bursts and Logstash needs time to catch up. It acts as a nice buffer. Logstash can also be tuned to have multiple worker processes and filter threads which took us some time to tune. It’s a bit of a balancing act.

.. And I just saw your response. Sounds like Logstash is not a good option for you.

Nick