[Bro] broker make error

Johanna Amann johanna at icir.org
Sun Aug 7 13:07:40 PDT 2016

Download can 0.14, and pull Bro from git; configure with --enable-broker
and --with-libcaf=[location] (if caf is installed outside the standard
paths).

You also will probably have to set pythonpath like described in
https://github.com/bro/bro-netcontrol if you want to use any of the
connectors.

Johanna

On 7 Aug 2016, at 10:36, John Babio wrote:

> Using Ubuntu 16 as the base os
>
> So until everything is sorted with the new rewrite:
> 1. Download caf 0.14 and config, make, make install
> 2. Download bro from https://www.bro.org/download/index.html or do i
> have
> to pull from git?
> 3. Config bro with --enable-broker
>

> On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Johanna Amann <johanna at icir.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Yup, that is exactly it. There currently is a rewrite of Broker
>> underway,
>> which will use the newer library versions, but it is not quite done
>> yet.
>>
>> Also note - you are probably better served with the instructions at
>> https://github.com/bro/bro-netcontrol; you do no longer need to use a
>> branch of Bro, NetControl is in master now.
>>
>> Johanna
>>
>> On 7 Aug 2016, at 9:38, Hoelzer, Dave wrote:
>>
>> The issue is the version of CAF.  0.14 will work, I believe.  If you
>> do
>>> the research you’ll see that there is supposedly a patch that was
>>> added
>>> into the Bro code in 2015, but there’s no evidence of that since
>>> the
>>> compilation continues to fail.
>>>
>>> CAF made a change that removed some types, which has lead to this
>>> issue.
>>> Nothing’s really gone, it’s just moved and Bro hasn’t kept up.
>>>
>>> ———————————————————
>>> David Hoelzer
>>> Fellow, SANS Institute
>>> Dean of Faculty, SANS Technology Institute
>>>

>>> On August 7, 2016 at 10:13:15 AM, John Babio (johndbabio at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:johndbabio at gmail.com>) wrote:
>>>
>>> Following this guide
>>>
>>> http://www.icir.org/johanna/netcontrol/
>>>
>>> I built and install the actor framework from github
>>>
>>> Broker:
>>> make -C build all
>>> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/john/broker/build'
>>> make[2]: Entering directory '/home/john/broker/build'