[Bro] Linux vs FreeBSD

Michael Shirk shirkdog.bsd at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 10:05:47 PST 2016

There are at least 2 large FreeBSD installations monitoring 10-50Gbps (one
that can scale to 100Gbps). I believe both utilize Myricom cards so from a
performance perspective, you can get the necessary performance out of
FreeBSD.

My focus has been on the low end of this (1-10Gbps) getting FreeBSD to
scale on commodity hardware, as FreeBSD 12 will have updated netmap code
for better packet I/O.

Though I live and die by BSD, it is up to you what you feel more
comfortable with, for maintenance and operations. With management tools
like Salt/Ansible/Puppet, it really is a personal/organizational preference
as to which one you use.

FreeBSD 11 has shown better network performance compared to some Linux
distros in a recent test with netperf/iperf, but the test did not cover
packet monitoring:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=netperf-bsd-linux&num=3

--
Michael Shirk