[Bro] Protocol Analyzer Compilation Issue types.bif

Valerio valerio.click at gmx.com
Sun Oct 30 04:31:04 PDT 2016

Hi all,

in writing a custom protocol analyzer for BRO, I came across a strange
behaviour at compilation time.

It seems that the order in which you specify events.bif and types.bif
files in CMakeLists.txt matters. In fact, if I have:

bro_plugin_begin(BroCustomProt)
	bro_plugin_cc(CustomProt.cc Plugin.cc)
	bro_plugin_bif(types.bif)
	bro_plugin_bif(events.bif)
	[...]
bro_plugin_end()

and I try to compile bro I get the following error:

[...]
 /build/src/analyzer/protocol/customprot/customprot_pac.h fatal error:
types.bif.h: File or directory do not exist

If instead I modify CMakeLists.txt by swapping events.bif and types.bif
as in:

bro_plugin_begin(BroCustomProt)
	bro_plugin_cc(CustomProt.cc Plugin.cc)
	bro_plugin_bif(events.bif)
	bro_plugin_bif(types.bif)
	[...]
bro_plugin_end()

the compilation succeeds.

Is there any ordering issue in writing the CMakeLists.txt for a BRO
Protocol Analyzer that needs to be taken into account?

best regards,
Valerio