[Bro] integrate FPGA\PF_RING supported NIC with Bro - offload

william de ping bill.de.ping at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 07:34:29 PST 2017

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone had a chance of somehow incorporate a FPGA NIC \ Smart
NIC \ Napatech \ PF_RING with Bro ?

I would like to scale my Bro cluster and process higher volumes of traffic
(5-10Gbps). Currently I use PF_RING supported nic (intel X710) to LB the
traffic to multiple workers - this environment cannot handle the above
traffic load.
I could always beef up my server but that does not seem like an elegant
solution.

Could there be any benefits for moving to Napatech NIC or FPGA supported
NIC ?
In what scenario an FPGA card can be integrated with Bro to offload some of
its more tedious tasks to the smart nic ?

Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks