[Bro] Bro updates force some bro-pkg rebuilds.. sometimes.

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Wed Feb 28 18:59:29 PST 2018

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 8:27 PM, Mike Dopheide <dopheide at gmail.com> wrote:

> What do folks think about a couple options to bro-pkg such as:
> 1) a new package.meta file field:
> rebuild=yes

I wonder if that's needed since bro-pkg can already see what packages
have specified a 'build_command' ? i.e. bro-pkg can simply rebuild any
package that has supplied a build command.  I'd think that even for
packages which don't strictly require a rebuild, it's not harmful to
rebuild/reinstall anyway.

> 2) And a corresponding bro-pkg command:  bro-pkg rebuild [nodeps]

Makes sense to me.  Unless there's further feedback from this thread,
I'd say go ahead and create an issue on on github for adding a
'rebuild' command or take a crack at a PR in case I don't get to it

Possibly a workaround to do in the meantime would be to do:

$ bro-pkg bundle everything.bundle
$ bro-pkg unbundle everything.bundle
$ rm everything.bundle

Which should result in a rebuild/reinstall of all installed packages.

> Separately, but kinda related, I wouldn't mind a '--yes' flag or something
> similar when packages aren't being installed interactively.

The --force flag will suppress all interactive prompts.  Does that
work like you need?

- Jon