[Bro] Update on the Bro renaming process

Slagell, Adam J slagell at illinois.edu
Mon Jan 8 09:37:22 PST 2018

Speaking for the Bro leadership team, I would like to update the community on our progress towards choosing a new name.

First, I would like to thank all of the people who submitted their ideas in the past months. Many of you had even come up with the same ideas independently, and it was nice to see all the thoughtful responses.

Before the holidays, we met as a team to try and narrow the list down to our 5 favorite candidate names, but we found it challenging to find names we all liked without trademark issues. This is unfortunately a very dense space for names: software and tech companies. As such, we have decided to use some of our funds from previous sponsorship to hire a professional company to help us come up with a new name.

We will be giving this company all the data you have submitted to help seed the process to generate more ideas. They will also be interviewing leadership team members and other contributors. While I wish that we could give a timeline, this is uncharted territory for us as a project. What we can and will do though is communicate as this process continues and involve the community as possible and appropriate along the way.

:Adam Slagell
Chair of the Bro Project Leadership Team

------

Adam J. Slagell
Director, Cybersecurity & Networking Division
Chief Information Security Officer
www.slagell.info

"Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), any written communication to or from University employees regarding University business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure."