[ee122] flow control for project 2

Lisa Fowler fowler at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 5 22:15:56 PST 2007

for example, file_recv would have a method that essentially does
"receive and save until disconnected".  That method is at the
app-level.

In the "receive and save until disconnected" method, you loop on
exactly that:  receive and save, until disconnected, where "receive"
in this case is a method that calls into your protocol's "receive x
bytes" function.

When entering the "receive x bytes", the size of x is the size of your
receiver window.  Your protocol will then receive and ACK up to x
bytes, returning x bytes or less/something else if it was disconnected
while trying to receive x bytes.  It returns those bytes to the
"receive and save until disconnected" method, which then saves, or
returns upon disconnection.

Behind the scenes:  The incoming packets from the sender will queue in
the UDP socket until "receive x bytes" is called again, and thus will
not be ACKed until "receive and save until disconnected" loops again,
and enters "receive x bytes".

Does that help?

Don't use threads.  You don't need to.

-Lisa