[ee122] [Project2] Congestion "Fairness"

Jorge Ortiz jortiz at cs.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 6 22:19:27 PST 2007

Fairness is essentially related to every participant getting their
fair share of the network resources (bandwidth).  If two sources are
continuously sending data they should each get half the bandwidth.

Fairness measure can actually be a bit more complicated if you
consider each source's send rate.  The intuition is that if a sender
does not have as much to send, it doesn't necessarily need half the
bandwidth.  Queue-management mechanisms can assure fairness for a set
of senders by trying to determine the send rate for each sender and
alotting enough bandwidth (queue space) for each source to obtain
their maximum send rate.

Jorge