[ee122] FSM

vern at cs.berkeley.edu vern at cs.berkeley.edu
Sun Nov 11 17:12:34 PST 2007

> For the FSM we're turning in, does it have to include the send/receive
> parts of our protocol, or is it fine to just diagram only the
> connection establishment and termination, like what we saw in the
> discussion slides?

A good FSM diagram shows all the different states a connection can be in.
For TCP, these are dominated by connection establishment & termination;
for your protocol, that may well be the case too, but it's possible your
protocol will have multiple states once a connection is estabished (say),
depending on your design.  Your FSM should show these.

> Also, do we have to handle sudden terminations, eg
> RST flag?

It's okay to provide an annotation such as "in all states except XYZ, upon
receiving a Termination packet the state transitions to state Done" or
such.  That is, it should be clear how receipt of something like a RST is
dealt with in terms of state transitions, but doesn't need to be illustrated
if it will clutter the diagram rather than help clarify how states change.

		Vern