[ee122] MNL not simulating congestion correctly

Eric Cheung ericcheung at berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 26 17:02:22 PST 2007

We are doubling the RTO after every timeout and reducing the CWND.
However, we've run into a problem where MNL (with drop probability .25)
keeps dropping packets regardless of how slow we are sending, causing
our RTO to keep doubling.  This seems to be counter-intuitive to the
behavior of an actual congested network, which would drop less packets
if a sender reduced its sending speed.  Is this a fundamental problem
with the way MNL models the network or do we have to account for this
somehow?

Thanks
- Eric