[ee122] MNL not simulating congestion correctly

Daniel Killebrew dank at berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 27 07:26:44 PST 2007

Eric Cheung wrote:
> We are doubling the RTO after every timeout and reducing the CWND.
> However, we've run into a problem where MNL (with drop probability .25)
> keeps dropping packets regardless of how slow we are sending, causing
> our RTO to keep doubling.
Well of course, because it's a .25 probability independent of your send
rate.
>   This seems to be counter-intuitive to the
> behavior of an actual congested network, which would drop less packets
> if a sender reduced its sending speed.
Only if that particular sender was responsible for a significant share
of the network's congestion. Obviously in reality you are not likely to
be that significant (and I mean that in a nice way of course :) )
> Is this a fundamental problem
> with the way MNL models the network or do we have to account for this
> somehow?

As pointed out above, I wouldn't say that's a problem with MNL.

Daniel