[ee122] Follow up on the Problem about SNW vs. Sliding Window

Richard Schmidt huntingtonsurfca at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 23:32:47 PDT 2007

I've come across two definitions of bandwidth-delay product in my search for
answers, one of which uses the on-way delay and another which uses the RTT
delay.

I looked in the book and they use the <d sub prop> and is interpeted as one
way delay. (HW1 [p.73 P.18])

But that means that the sliding window, if using the BDP, has to wait almost
an entire window transmission (more actually while the rec transmits an ACK)
before it can move the window one packet iota. But if the BDP is using the
RTT (as I was thinking), then it is much more ideal (and the problem goes
back to that lost millisecond I mentioned earlier... well... one packet
transmission +  one ACK transmission time per burst).

So what should I use? The results are gonna be a bit different.

Thanks,
Rick