[ee122] Permissions

Daniel Killebrew dank at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun Oct 14 13:47:10 PDT 2007

Richard Schmidt wrote:
> There are different permissions for 3 types of groups in unix.
>
> User / Group / Others
>
> Asking "ls -l" in my working directory lists something like this:
>
> -rw-------   1 ee122-bz ee122        406 Oct  7 19:33 Makefile
>
> Where each '-' corresponds to a denied permission, and the others
> correspond to particular rights (i.e. 'r' means read).
>
> My question is this:
>
> At first I thought that I was to use the "others" permission status to
> determine whether or not someone can read my private/diary.html
>
> But when I create a file, I noticed that none of them have this
> permission flagged (nither r,w, or x).
>
> Am I supposed to use this "others" portion to determine permission
> status, and if so, do I need to use chmod to change read status for
> "others"? I don't really know (yet) how to do this.

The OS will enforce whether your server will be able to read the file or
not, based on permissions. For your personal testing purposes, since you
are running as ee122-bz, you can create a file, chmod it to deny read
access to user, group, and all, and then test by letting your server try
and open it.
> Thanks
> Rick
>
> PS (Quick Q)-> The specs do not say that if the server response is
> anything but 200 OK, that the server should either close the
> connection or keep it open.
That's because it should do what it does when the response is 200 OK.

Daniel