[ee122] Sentinels and Data

vern at cs.berkeley.edu vern at cs.berkeley.edu
Sun Oct 21 22:20:11 PDT 2007

> Although, I'm pretty sure of the answer, I'd like to know if we have
> to run through the data while we are sending it to make sure that
> there are no character sequences that match a premature (in data)
> CRLF.

If you reflect on how your client gets its input, it should be clear that
there's no opportunity for the input to itself contain an *embedded* CRLF,
since the mere presence of the CRLF will terminate the item of input
directly.

For your server when sending an item, reflecting on the means by which the
server frames the item (either chunking or content-length) likewise shows
that there isn't a problem with CRLF sentinels appearing in the item itself.

> Do they denote the data containing premature sentinels with something
> like %<# of CR>%<# of LF>?

That's indeed how they would be embedded.  But the writeup doesn't ask you
to support these.

		Vern