[ee122] question about file names

Nescio Nomen nescionomen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 13:42:16 PDT 2007

Sorry, maybe I am just being dumb.  Your claim is that the filename should
be "contents", based on the following rule: "The new file name is the simple
name of the URI, i.e., all the characters following the last '/'".  Since
the URI is /database/contents/, there is nothing actually following the the
last '/'.  Based on this, I do not see why the filename should be
"contents", at least not based on the rule you cite.  I am going to give you
the benefit of the doubt and assume you read my e-mail carefully.  If this
is true, you must be using a different idea of 'last' than me, or in an
alternative context where it actually refers to the second to last.  If this
is the case, the write up is definitely not clear and I would like a further
elaboration.

To reiterate, I don't know quite what to make of the following list of
'special cases':

/ In this case, the simple name will be dir
foo/ In this case, the simple name will be foo
foo/. In this case, the simple name will be dot
foo/.. In this case, the simple name will be dotdot

I was assuming, though not with absolute certainty, that these exceptions
refer to the entire URI, i.e. if the URI is just "/", the file name is
"dir."  However, it's not quite clear what foo/ means, since for a URI like
/database/contents/, it would seem the filename would be
"/database/contents" but that doesn't look quite right.  This is the
particular case I decided to check.  I thought it possible that instead the
filename might be merely "contents", based on the idea that "foo" was a
generic variable meant *only* as substitution for the last directory (in
which case the write up should have been explicit in specifying that "foo/"
was actually more like "/directory/directory/[...etc]/foo/."  But your
e-mail, while choosing the 2nd option, gives a completely different
explanation than I don't understand at all.  I'm really tired from all the
projects I'm working on concurrently and I'll admit I am not fully literate
at this point, but even so, I would opine that the write up and the
explanation you gave are not clear and that my question merits a more
detailed explanation.