[ee122] Fwd: Project 1

Lisa Fowler fowler at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 12 00:12:14 PDT 2007

On 9/11/07, Ofer Sadgat <ofer at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Yes, but what I am asking is does TCP ensure that data from a call to send
> will arrive at the other side in the same order or does it also ensure that
> multiple calls to send will arrive in the order that send is called? For
> example, what if the second of the two packets sent takes a faster path? Is
> the time encoded into the packet? Because if it isn't, then whats to say
> which came first? You could have a field which orders them, but then that
> would have a maximum size, what would happen when that is exceeded?
>
> More concretely:
>         Send(dataA)
>         Send(dataB)
>
> Other side:
>         Receive() returns dataB
>         Receive() returns dataA
>
> Is this possible?

TCP ensures that the data will be in order *within* each send/recv
pair.  It is POSSIBLE that separate messages (send()'s) will arrive
NOT in order, such as you described, due to strange path differences.
It's rare in this day and age, but not impossible.  This is where your
application level protocol should be doing fact checking to ensure
that the message is as its expected (e.g. checksums if it were mission
critical that you were going to send giant consecutive messages  and
that they MUST arrive in order).  I'm doing some checking now, but
it's my understanding that the way that send() works is that it has a
buffer under the covers and consecutive send()'s populate that buffer
until the kernel is sufficiently pleased before it actually sends off
the data via TCP -- thereby taking advantage of the TCP window sizes,
and TCP's in-order promises.

I'll get back to you on this, but for now, don't worry about it so
much.  For the purposes of the first part of this project, this
shouldn't be a problem, but I'll get back to you on the buffering.

-Lisa