[ee122] test server for phase 1 or Project #1

Christopher Cowart ccowart at berkeley.edu
Sun Sep 16 17:01:35 PDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 04:42:41PM -0700, Vern Paxson wrote:
> > Has anyone tested this out?
>
> Yes, I did in fact test it before posting :-), and it still works okay
> for me.

When I attempt to test the server using nc, it doesn't respond. nc seems
to have no problem establishing the connection, but the server never
echoes anything to me:

|ccowart jobe ~ $ nc jaguar.icir.org 7788 <<EOF
|> HELLO
|> EOF

<hangs here>

When I use telnet, here's what I get (I quoted client input with c and
server output with s):
| ccowart jobe ~ $ telnet jaguar.icir.org 7788
| Trying 192.150.187.74...
| Connected to jaguar.icir.org.
| Escape character is '^]'.
| c>Hello
| s>Hello
| c>Good Bye
| s>Hello
| s>Good Bye
| c>This is another line
| s>Hello
| s>Good Bye
| s>This is another line

Is the desired behavior that for every line the client sends the server
responds with *everything* the client has sent so far? My understanding
was that the server was only supposed to echo the most recent line sent.

Chris Cowart