[ee122] hmwk problem Number 2.16

Jorge Ortiz jortiz at cs.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 20 22:12:56 PDT 2007

MTU refers to the whole size of the packet (with all the headers that
frame the data -- i explain the difference in the next paragraph).  So
for a datagram packet, this includes both the IP header AND the
Ethernet header (or whatever link-layer header your putting on the
packet).

The distinction between packet and frame is a bit subtle.  A packet is
essentially encased by a frame.  So when you append the header to the
front of the packet (and the back of the packet if there is trailer
information), you are framing the packet inside a frame of the type of
header you're putting on the packet.

So for example, you place an IP packet inside an Ethernet frame when
you send it over Ethernet.

jorge