[ee122] about switching from newsletter to newsgroup

Simon Tan simtan at berkeley.edu
Sat Sep 22 19:00:14 PDT 2007

Being signed up for an active mailing list can be overwhelming, and it
does feel like spam at first. There are some nice features to it, however.
For example, an archived thread view:

http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/ee122/2007-September/thread.html

Anyway, there are steps you can take to make the deluge of e-mail more
manageable. E-mail rules and/or filters, for example:

http://8help.osu.edu/1148.html

In almost any e-mail reader, web-based reader, or desktop client, you can
make messages that have '[ee122]' in the subject line filtered to a
different folder, so you don't have to look at them until you want to.
More advanced mail clients with view-based filtering allow an even nicer
way to look at your messages. For example, Opera Mail, a hidden gem in the
Opera Web Browser, has filters that act like viewports into *all* your
folders, including your Sent, Drafts, or what have you. When I look at
that filtered view, it looks exactly like a newsgroup. (I can say this
because Opera also does newsgroups, and using my EE 122 view involves the
same exact interface as, say, the CS 188 newsgroup.)

/shameless plug, because I'm pretty sure something like GMail does
something similar.