[Netalyzr] Network Buffering

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Wed Dec 29 09:59:42 PST 2010

On 12/29/2010 10:48 AM, Nicholas Weaver wrote:
> Unfortunately there is no real solution currently available.
>
> This is an endemic problem in many many network devices, e.g, Jim Gettys (one of the original X11 developers and OLPC developers) has been working on this problem for a while now.  WARNING, the following is highly technical: http://gettys.wordpress.com/2010/12/13/mitigations-and-solutions-of-bufferbloat-in-home-routers-and-operating-systems/
>
> The best solution for now is just to know about it: Don't try to use voice applications (like Skype) or realtime applications (like online games, or even much websurfing) while also doing file transfers (like BitTorrent).

Actually, you can mitigate your broadband link quite well with a mid or
high end ($100) home router; you set the uplink/downlink bandwidth to
somewhat below the ISP provisioned bandwidth.  Works quite well, at
least most of the time (if your ISP does not run RED on the head end of
the broadband, you may have problems due to congestion in your local
area; there is a paper which shows this problem is also quite common).

See:
http://gettys.wordpress.com/2010/12/13/mitigations-and-solutions-of-bufferbloat-in-home-routers-and-operating-systems/
for details.

Note that if your wireless link is lower bandwidth than your uplink
speed, you may have bufferbloat in your home router (and in your
operating system).  This happens commonly on FIOS, where even a 802.11g
link can easily be below the bandwidth of the ISP.  I see this on my
home 50/10 Comcast service, in some parts of my house.

Again, there are some things you can do, particularly if you are willing
to run open source router code.  The real solutions (as opposed to
mitigation) involve AQM.

Note that after mitigation, my home broadband service is generally below
20ms latency.

See:
http://www.dslreports.com/r3/smokeping.cgi?target=network.2ea89843611d2ac85ee91c449b367f39.NY
to see how my home service now behaves.