[Netalyzr] Network Buffering

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Thu Dec 30 07:13:49 PST 2010

On 12/29/2010 10:01 PM, Vern Paxson wrote:
>> Actually, you can mitigate your broadband link quite well with a mid or
>> high end ($100) home router; you set the uplink/downlink bandwidth to
>> somewhat below the ISP provisioned bandwidth.
>
> What's the idea here?  Won't this just shift the buffering to the home
> router, which might itself have buffer bloat?

No, not if the upstream/downstream bandwidth in the broadband connection
is the bottleneck, rather than the 802.11 or ethernet hop inside the house.

Thankfully, 10Mbps ethernet is pretty much a thing of the past.  That
leaves Wifi as a common offender, as I discovered (having several
chimney's in my house, wireless coverage is "interesting).

			- Jim