[Netalyzr] Network Buffering

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Thu Dec 30 07:26:18 PST 2010

On 12/29/2010 10:01 PM, Vern Paxson wrote:
>> Actually, you can mitigate your broadband link quite well with a mid or
>> high end ($100) home router; you set the uplink/downlink bandwidth to
>> somewhat below the ISP provisioned bandwidth.
>
> What's the idea here?  Won't this just shift the buffering to the home
> router, which might itself have buffer bloat?

Also remember that the user's computers are also often a problem in the
802.11 upstream case; modern wireless (and ethernet) devices have very
large ring buffers. This is not just a home router problem, but an
end-node problem.

On my laptop, the driver apparently buffers ~256 packets.  (I guess I
should be thankful, the hardware supports ring buffer sizes up to 4096).
			- Jim