[Netalyzr] We are now out of beta!

Nicholas Weaver nweaver at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jan 13 07:32:38 PST 2010

We are out of beta! We have been toiling hard to implement new tests,
make the existing ones more robust, and improve the user
interface. Among the changes we are rolling out today are:

* New tests. We now provide a path MTU test, IP fragmentation support,
  improved DNS examination, and look up additional names. Besides the
  client-side transcript you can now inspect the server-side one,
  which is useful for debugging highly troubled sessions. In addition,
  we have improved the overall robustness of the existing tests.

* Interface improvements. A frequent complaint we received was that
  the results summary is overwhelming. As a first step to improve the
  situation, you can now selectively show or hide result summary
  detail. On the summary page, you find clickable plus/minus symbols
  that will expand/collapse test results on the entire page, in a
  particular test class, or on a particular test. When you first
  arrive at the summary page, any issues we have noticed remain
  expanded by default.

* Updated info pages. Each of our tests comes with an info page,
  available by clicking on the test's name (such as "Path MTU" in the
  above). We have given those info pages a makeover, which will
  hopefully make them easier to understand and more useful to less
  technical users.

We are also using this opportunity to try to get people to run or
rerun Netalyzr, at http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu , in order to see
how much the network has changed since our beta release during the
summer.

Thanks again for running Netalyzr

-The Netalyzr Crew: Christian, Nick, and Vern.