[Netalyzr] NAT-PMP Support

Christian Kreibich christian at icir.org
Mon Jul 11 10:25:31 PDT 2011

Hi Sabahattin,

On 07/09/2011 02:30 PM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Noticing that you have IGD (UPnP) support there, is NAT-PMP a
> possible addition?  All it needs is a single UDP datagram to the
> gateway address.

Yeah, we've actually thought about that. So far we haven't done so
because NAT-PMP provides something qualitatively different from UPnP. We
use UPnP to find the users' gateway devices and the specific models, so
we can identify particular troublemakers. That's a biggie.

NAT-PMP's main purpose is establishing port mappings, which we currently
do not foresee needing. Merely testing the ability to establish a port
forwarding bears the risk of perturbing the state of the user's network,
which we try to avoid. However, NAT-PMP's ability to tell us the
gateway's external IP address is handy, so we may well add support for it.

Best,
Christian