[Netalyzr] netalyzr, java, bufferbloat and 50Mb/s links

Maciej Soltysiak maciej at soltysiak.com
Mon Apr 16 08:10:40 PDT 2012

Hello!

As part of my regular routing related to playing with home router firmware
I noticed that recently netalyzr started showing low latency and buffering,
even on stock router firmware.

I've just read "Netalyzr: illuminating the edge network" and linked 2 facts
together:
a) I've been upgraded to 50Mb/s link (from 6Mb/s)
b) the whitepaper says java puts a cap to 20Mb/s

So I guess netalyzr tests are not able to fill my cable modem buffers.
Is there a way to run the network latency/buffering test so that it is not
hampered by java?

Thanks,
Maciej Soltysiak