[Xorp-hackers] Shell command suppport

João Carlos Mendes Luís jonny@jonny.eng.br
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:02:57 -0300

Adam Greenhalgh wrote:
> What permissions are you able to execute commands as ? I'd assume it was
> as a normal user "ray" ?
>
> Much of the idea about not having the ability to access the underlying
> os is that you are using a router and not a unix box.
>
> This may seem like a dumb question, but what are you wanting shell
> access to the router when in xorpsh mode ? What is the set of tasks you
> are wanting to do ? From this it maybe possible to code in the specific
> functionality into xorpsh.

     In a real router, this command may be indeeed useless.  That's why
it should be possible to disable it by configuration, compilation, etc.
  In a unix box, though, this may save you time wasted openning another
terminal.

     But you gave me an interesting idea that could be put in the long
term TODO list: Expandable, loadable or configurable internal commands
that map to the external operating system.  Thus, commands that do not
exist or belongs in XORP would then be "created" externally.  This
could, for example, include some kind of kernel loading or unloading for
device drivers.

     Just an idea, though...