[Xorp-hackers] Status of XORP

Ghazan Haider ghazanhaider@yahoo.com
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:01:38 -0800 (PST)

I have been trying to compile Quagga for my setup
until I ran into Xorp today.

How usable and reliable is Xorp compared to Gated,
Quagga and Zebra? The module status page says various
modules are complete or almost complete. Does it mean
it has recently been 'completed' but not tested so
still Alpha, or complete as in just install it on a
server, drop the server in a network and there you go?
Where does it stand compared to the other three? (sure
give me biased opnions but informed ones).

With Quagga, I've been trying to compile it on a
minimal Linux system for my 7 sparcstations, so I
could boot them as tftpboot image, which may not be
over 8mb. Elsewhere on this mailinglist I saw the
installed base of XORP was 38MB. What goes into 38MB
since projects like these have no 'content' and its
all binaries? The Linux kernel is 2MB at best with all
that functionality...

Lastly has anyone compiled XORP for embedded systems?
I saw two threads regarding ramspace, but none
regarding diskspace. Is it reasonable to compile XORP
for sparc, and expect all the binaries and libraries
to be less than 5mb?