[Xorp-hackers] MFEA for Click

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Sun, 05 Dec 2004 11:39:31 -0800

> I would like to know the detailled status about the IPv4/IPv6 Click
> Multicast Forwarding Engine
> Abstraction : I have seen that it is in the TODO list in the MIT web
> site, but could someone
> tell me when he expect that to be integrated in the Xorp project and is
> there active development
> on it ?

Hoerdt,

Several people had expressed interest in the past to develop multicast
support for Click, but so far nothing really happened (or at least I
am not aware of any progress).

Due to shortage of internal resources, we (the XORP project) cannot
do the Click multicast support by ourselves hence we have to wait
until somebody else takes over the task and implements it.

Obviously, the MFEA support for Click (which is orthogonal from the
unicast FEA support) cannot happen before Click itself supports
multicast.

For those of you who are looking for a design + implementation
oriented project, note that the multicast support for Click is a
task that is completely unexplored, so they can have lots of fun
with the design. Of course, to do the task right, you would have to
be familiar with both Click and multicast, so this can be an
excellent opportunity to become an expert in both areas.

If someone is willing to take over the multicast Click
implementation, we (XORP) will be glad to collaborate on the subject
(design, API, etc). Only serious inquiries please :)