[Xorp-hackers] HEADS UP: FEA Click configuration changes

Gernot W. Schmied gernot.schmied@chello.at
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:39:48 +0100

Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> Important only for those who use XORP + Click.
>
> Recently there have been few improvements to the FEA Click support.
> The major change is that now the FEA supports the enabling of both
> kernel-level and user-level Click (which is perfectly legitimate).
>
> As a result of that change, now the XORP FEA/Click configuration
> syntax is slightly different from the example that was sent to the
> mailing list about a week ago.
>
> OLD CONFIG:
> fea {
>     click {
> 	click-config-generator-file: "/path/to/config_generator"
>     }
> }
>
> NEW CONFIG:
> fea {
>     click {
> 	kernel-click {
> 	    kernel-click-config-generator-file: "/path/to/kernel_config_generator"
> 	}
> 	user-click {
> 	    user-click-config-generator-file: "/path/to/user_config_generator"
> 	}
>     }
> }
>

> For completness, below I am including an example with the new
> syntax. The example is available also from
> xorp/rtrmgr/config.boot.sample
>
> Regards,
> Pavlin
>

> /*
>  * XORP Click FEA configuration example
>  */
> fea {
>     enable-unicast-forwarding4: true
>     /* enable-unicast-forwarding6: true */
>
>     click {
> 	enabled: true
>
> 	/*
> 	 * Note: If both kernel-click and user-click are enabled, then
> 	 * typically kernel-click-config-generator-file and
> 	 * user-click-config-generator-file should point to different
> 	 * generator files. Otherwise, a single common generator
> 	 * wouldn't know whether to generate configuration for kernel-level
> 	 * Click or for user-level Click.
> 	 */
> 	kernel-click {
> 	    enabled: false
> 	    install-on-startup:	true
> 	    kernel-click-modules: "/path/to/proclikefs.o:/path/to/click.o"
> 	    /* XXX: On FreeBSD we need only module click.ko */
> 	    /* kernel-click-modules: "/path/to/click.ko" */
> 	    mount-directory: "/click"
> 	    kernel-click-config-generator-file: "/user/local/xorp/fea/xorp_fea_click_config_generator"
> 	}
>
> 	user-click {
> 	    enabled: true
> 	    command-file: "/usr/local/bin/click"
> 	    /*
> 	     * Note: don't add "-p <port>" as an extra argument, because it
> 	     * will conflict with the FEA's addition of the same argument.
> 	     */
> 	    command-extra-arguments: "-R"
> 	    command-execute-on-startup: true
> 	    control-address: 127.0.0.1
> [...]

Hi Pavlin,

Sounds like a lot of cool new features for XORP 1.1 (or will it be
2.0?). Do you folks already have a vague idea about the next release
date of XORP, would be interesten in hearing what's happening on the
OSPF and multicast arena (IGMPv3, MLDv2, ...) and the planned features
until then.
By the way, any progress on the AMD64 front? Any success stories so far
for compiling it on AMD64? It still fails miserably on my machine :-(.

Merry Xmas from Vienna,
Gernot