[Xorp-hackers] About call_xrl

Atanu Ghosh atanu@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:06:03 -0800

Hi,

The "call_xrl" will allow you to call any XRL. Some of our XRL
interfaces involve registering an interface to callback. The "call_xrl"
will not help with such a case. I think some of the commands to extract
routing tables may require callbacks.

The xorpsh uses external programs to print the state of the
router. Check in the "etc/templates" directory all files ending in
".cmds". You could consider using these commands and not calling the
XRLs directly.

The router manager controls the processes that make up a XORP
router. The "xorpsh" is used to change the state of the router, which it
does by interacting with the router manager. If you use XRLs directly
to control processes then the router manager will have a different view
of the state of the router. Anyone using the "xorpsh" will see a
possibly inconsistent view. This would be unfortunate as it should be
possible to use both the web and "xorpsh" interface to control the
router.

A not very elegant solution may be to run a xorpsh at the end of a pipe
and send it commands. You could also consider modifying the xorpsh to
take a command to execute on the command line, rather like the "-c" flag
that the shell (sh(1)) takes. We would be interested in the patches if
you were to do this.

I hope this helps.

    Atanu.

    Bâkır> We're trying to develop a web interface for XORP using PHP. We're
    Bâkır> considering "call_xrl" as a bridge to the router. We would like to be
    Bâkır> able to configure the router and view its status by sending XRLs. Is
    Bâkır> "call_xrl" suitable for us? Any help (and comment) will be
    Bâkır> appreciated..

    Bâkır> Bâkır Emre
    Bâkır> Senior Student at Kocaeli University

    Bâkır> Xorp-hackers mailing list
    Bâkır> Xorp-hackers@icir.org