[Xorp-hackers] An Introduction to Writing a XORP Process

Mark Handley M.Handley@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:23:55 +0100

I have three students this summer here at UCL working on XORP-related
projects.  One of them has had no problems whatsoever figuring out how
the pieces of XORP fit together, but the other two have had some
difficulty.

To try and make it easier to get started, I've written a document
called "An Introduction to Writing a XORP Process".  It attempts to
lead the reader through by example how XRL interfaces are defined, the
stub compilation process, what the XORP main loop looks like, and how
you call XRLs on other processes.

My first draft is currently available here:

  http://nrg.cs.ucl.ac.uk/mjh/tmp/xorpdev101.pdf

If it seems like it's useful, it will probably find a more permanent
home somewhere else.  It's also checked in to CVS in the xorp/docs
directory.

If you've found yourself in a similar situation to my students, I'd
appreciate feedback as to how useful this is, what critical things are
missing, and what could be explained better.

Cheers,
	Mark