[Xorp-hackers] An Introduction to Writing a XORP Process

João Carlos Mendes Luís jonny@jonny.eng.br
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:44:13 -0300

Mark Handley wrote:
>>Below are a number of random comments:
>
> Good points - I agree with all of them.
>
> This started out as an attempt to orient people in the
> right direction - really the basics only.  Many of your points go
> beyond the basics, which raises the question of what we want this
> document to evolve into?  Probably you're right - it should evolve
> into a complete XORP programmers guide over time.

     Let it be both.  A starters guide and a full guide.  A good chapter
distribution could do it.  Also, the basics need not be a dummy's guide,
of course.

>>In general, I like the style of the document which has plenty of
>>examples, code listings and describes things into tiny details.
>>BTW, do you know how easy is to use line numbers in the source code
>>listings similar to the text of Stevens' books (RIP).
>
> Well, all the listings are heavily edited down from the actual code
> for the sake of space and simplicity (only including the relevant
> pieces).  Would you put the original line numbers in the listings?
> This would obviously have to be done manually.

     The line numbers exist for reference in the text.  They need not be
the original.  Indeed, since the original may change anytime in CVS,
they mean nothing.

     A simple "cat -n" on the simplified text would be enough.

     Cheers,

		Jonny