[Xorp-hackers] Re: FreeBSD: IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP on IFF_POINTOPOINT problems

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:57:46 -0700

> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet/ip_output.c.diff?r1=1.126&r2=1.127
>
> It looks as though cvsweb is having problems at the moment. The log
> for this change was:
>
> ----------------------------
> revision 1.127
> date: 2001/06/11 18:38:11;  author: ume;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
> This is force commit to mention about previous commit.
>
> - use 0/8 to specify interface index on multicast get/setsockopt
> - make sure to nuke m->m_aux pointer for ipsec, on if_output.
> - pass error from ipsec_setsocket() all the way up.
> - move ipsec output processing before filtering section.
> ----------------------------
>
> ...so the RFC 1724 changes are actually part of the KAME sync in rev 1.126.

Ah, this looks like an ugly hack.
Indeed, RFC-1724 is the one that suggests that 0.0.0.0/8 is
interpreted as an interface index, but lets not forget that
the title of that RFC is "RIP Version 2 MIB Extension".
In my opinion, the above interpretation should be limited to
MIB-related code only, and should not be propagated to places like
the generic multicast code in the kernel.

Anyway, this ML is not the right place for such discussion, and what
is done is done. After all, you didn't send your email to ask us
about opinion whether we like the above solution, but whether XORP
has problems on P2P links :)

Regards,
Pavlin